You can get a new kitchen for $4,000.00 by following the tips below:
- Get over any phobia you may have about Ikea and investigate their offerings. I downloaded their planner from their website and was able to design and cost out the best plan for our space. To be honest, I have always done everything possible to avoid Ikea, but when it came to finding a new kitchen on a really tight budget I couldn’t find anything better. Yes, I looked at Bunnings etc but didn’t like any of the colours etc.
- Ensure you have a marriage counsellor lined up after visiting the Ikea kitchen area with your partner!
- Up-cycle any interesting pieces you may already have into your design. When we bought our small cottage 6 years ago the rustic workbench was left in the garage. I’ve always loved this piece and thought it was perfect for a kitchen island. We didn’t have the budget to purchase a new stone worktop for the island so we bought 3 large tiles and just placed them on top of the workbench.
- Use open shelves instead of more cabinets on the walls. Not only is it more cost effective, it is visually more interesting and quicker to access items.
- Apply some interesting lighting.
- For the flooring we used vinyl planks. Yeah, I know it doesn’t sound very exciting, but when ‘budget’ and ‘durability’ are your top requirements I couldn’t go better then this. To be honest I’m quite happy with how they look as well.
These photos were taken by my brother Dale. Thanks Daleoooo!
I would love to hear if anyone likes the kitchen as much as I do…or if you have your own kitchen reno story to tell.