Another slab pot. This time I experimented using the pattern from the red place-mat. I love the impression it leaves on the clay.
- Roll out slab of clay and cut rectangle shape out
- Lay the place-mat on the top of the clay slab and with a rolling pin apply pressure over the whole slab
- Repeat the above step for a second slab (for the back of the pot)
- Put slabs aside to firm up
- Roll more slabs of clay and cut out a base slab and side slabs and again let them firm up
- Once the slabs have firmed up a little turn one of the impressed slabs upside down and attach the sides with slurry and reinforce the joints with a coil.
- Add the base slab using the same techniques above
- Get the second impressed slab (for the back of the pot) and using slurry join to the pot (while still lying down on its side…I also put inside a tissue box to ensure the slab didn’t cave in)
- Then carefully stand the pot up and reinforce the inside of the pot with a coil along the joins (if you inserted a tissue box like me you will need to take this out once the pot is standing)
- Add a few coils to the top of the pot and finish off